Our Foundation and Pre-Masters programmes include modules to improve your English language and study skills. However, for students who do not quite meet our English language requirements, and who want to increase their confidence about studying in the UK before the start of their main programme, we offer pre-sessional courses of 12 or 30 weeks.
The main focus is on developing language skills in the four disciplines of reading, writing, speaking and listening. Teaching takes place in small groups and each student is assigned a personal tutor who will meet you at least once per week to discuss your progress.
Students will be taught different language techniques which include:
- improving grammatical skills;
- increasing range of general and specialised vocabulary;
- enhancing sentence and paragraph structure;
- improving reading skills and identifying key information and arguments;
- interpreting tables and graphs;
- tackling multiple choice questions;
- speaking in a coherent and logical manner.
The course also introduces students to the study skills needed when starting your main programmes with us. They include:
- note taking in lectures;
- writing summaries;
- writing extended pieces of work;
- making presentations.
The course is a great way to acclimatise to living and studying in the UK, learning about UK culture, places to go and see in London, how to make the best use of public transport and so on. It’s also good to make friends with fellow students before the main course begins.